Thursday, February 18, 2010

Day 3 - Friday

Day 3


"Rather, clothe yourselves with the Lord Jesus Christ, and do not think about how to gratify the desires of the sinful nature." Romans 13:14 (NIV)

 

Part of Lent's focus is repentance.  Without the spiritual practice of repentance, we will never be able to fulfill God's will for our lives, nor find ourselves in a thriving relationship with God.  Sin is what keeps the communication blocked between us and God.  It dulls our hearing and turns our hearts away from the passionate search for our Savior.  Sin is like that delightful "Turkish delight" consumed by Edmond in The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe.  It will fill our souls until we find we are no longer hungry for that which is good and right. 

 

Millions of people throughout the world will "give up" something for Lent.  Chocolate, swearing, breakfast, smoking, vices that we want to "give up" will go by the wayside for a period of six weeks, and though we mean well and do well to practice this form of fasting, unfortunately many of us will pick these back up after Easter.  But let this Lent be a real period of examination of our hearts. 

 

Listen the Psalmist, King David as he invites God to search his heart:

 

"Investigate my life, O God, find out everything about me; Cross-examine and test me, get a clear picture of what I'm about; See for yourself whether I've done anything wrong— then guide me on the road to eternal life."  Psalm 139:23-24 (TMSG)

 

Lent is a season for investigation.  But the good news is that God does not search our hearts to punish us for the sin that he finds there.  No, he searches our lives and hearts so that he can enter our hearts and bring rescue and freedom to us in the areas where we've allowed sin to restrict and bind us.  He brings grace to us if only we will ask and receive from him.  He will clothe us with Christ and we will find ourselves in friendship with him once again.

 

Prayer:  "Gracious God, let me have the courage to pray David's prayer.  Search me and try me and know my heart.  Forgive my sin and teach me how to walk in your way with your hand in mine.  In Jesus' I pray, Amen."

 

No comments: