Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Day 16 - Thursday

Day 16

 

"But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away."  Isaiah 64:6 (KJV)

I believe it is important for us to examine the words we use, especially in context of spirituality and religion.  It is sin that has kept us separated from the presence of God.  But "sin" has many connotations depending on who is talking about it.  Not long ago I heard a good definition of the word, sin.  "Sin is whenever we try to fill a legitimate need by illegitimate means."

We have a legitimate need for intimacy in our lives, but some of us find illegitimate ways to fill that need through relationships that are outside the boundaries God has set for us.  When we do this, though it may "solve the problem" for a little while, it takes a toll on our souls.  It takes a toll on our hearts.

We have a legitimate need to acceptance in our lives, but sometimes we find ourselves giving into the control and abuse of others simply so we don't feel rejected.  But God has called us to have self-control and be in charge of our own lives, under his guidance.  Instead of being fulfilled we end up stress-filled, wounded and manipulated.  And it takes a toll on our hearts.

As we looked at yesterday, we realize, especially when face to face with God's goodness and grace, that we are in desperate need.  In fact, without God's help we have no hope of ever being "good enough" or in right standing with him.   And this is the point of the good news, that even though we couldn't do anything about our standing before God, he could and did.

"God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God." 2 Corinthians 5:21 (NIV)

This is the promise of God for us.  We do not have to have it all together.  I cannot fill these legitimate needs of my life on my own.  I fail.  No matter how perfect I try to keep the law of love (loving God and loving others) I will never get it right enough.  

But God the Father laid upon Jesus the sin of us all and in him the price for our sin was paid.  No more sacrifices, no more rigorous law-keeping to make sure that God is not angry.  Nothing more is needed but the acceptance of the gift of God:  his son, Jesus.  When I believe this and begin to allow this truth to lead me, I cover my heart with his breastplate of righteousness.  

Prayer:  "Lord, today I affirm I  believe that you gave yourself to become sin and receive my punishment, that I might be free to receive your righteousness.  Thank you for your gift of life.  In Your Name I pray, Amen."

 

No comments: