Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Day 29 - Wednesday

Day 29

 

"In addition to all of these, hold up the shield of faith to stop the fiery arrows of the devil." Ephesians 6:16 (NLT)

Today I want to focus our attention to the formation they would make with their shields.  Being a Roman citizen, Paul was well-acquainted with the Roman soldiers and their warfare tactics.  One of these was to bring their shields together to the point they were almost linked, not allowing room for an arrow to get through. 

 

Imagine what the enemy of these armies thought when they advanced on these Romans, only to find a moving, living shield of protection guarding against the fiery arrows they had launched at them.  It must have struck terror in their hearts.

 

We need one another's shields.  My shield alone will not protect me completely, but I need to link up with my brothers and sisters not only for my own help, but to help them as well.

 

There is a great story from the history of Israel about Jonathan, the son of King Saul, who was moved by God to fight against the Philistine army and looking to the young man who helped carry his armor, he said:

 

"Jonathan said to his armor bearer, "Come on now, let's go across to these uncircumcised pagans. Maybe God will work for us. There's no rule that says God can only deliver by using a big army. No one can stop God from saving when he sets his mind to it." His armor bearer said, "Go ahead. Do what you think best. I'm with you all the way." 1 Samuel 14:6-7 (TMSG)

 

They defeated this garrison of the enemy, just the two of them.  But they were in step, in unity with each other.  Jonathan spread his faith over him and his armorbearer, the faith that God was with them and would deliver.  It is this linking of each other's heart, as well as mind, that brought them protection and the ability to fight for each other.

 

And as we link arms with our brothers and sisters, we will help each other defeat the enemy in our lives.  We are in a battle and we cannot simply fight alone, but we need to realize that our shield is not just for us, but for our friends, family and neighbors too. 

 

Prayer:  "Jesus, help me lift my faith as a shield today, as I choose to link with others who find themselves in the battle of life. I cannot fight this war on my own, and neither can they.  Keep us we pray, as we fight for and defend one another. In you I pray, Amen."

No comments: