Thursday, March 18, 2010

Day 31 - Friday

Day 31

 

"We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ."  2 Corinthians 10:5 (NIV)

I'm wondering something today.  I'm wondering if you are like me.  Do you ever get an odd thought come to you, a fearful thing that comes to mind unbidden, but instead of getting rid of the thought, you dwell on it a little too long?  Maybe it's a worry about the future or a fear of losing a loved one. 

 

These thoughts come and tempt our mind to take detours away from what we know is true.  They are like a seed that is planted and if we allow it to stay, it will grow until we've allowed our imaginations to run away with us and take us down paths mentally and emotionally that keep us from living in a life of faith. 

 

Part of the job of the shield of our faith is to protect us from these attacks of doubt and fear.  But we must take action against them; we must choose to use our shield.  Paul tells us in 2 Corinthians that we must take captive the thoughts that prop themselves up as more important and against the truth that God has given us. 

 

When we choose to believe the truth of God, it is our faith in this knowledge that will protect us and "shield" us from these lies and fears that come to our minds.  This is a defense to our souls.  We counteract the attacks of the enemy when we choose to reject these fleeting thoughts that try to take root in our hearts and replace them with the affirmations of God's promises. 

 

His word, the Bible, is filled with promises of his grace and support and love for his children.  And this is that good news we talked of before.  It is the gospel message that we don't have to live in fear or worry, but rather place our trust and faith in God who loves us and will never leave us or forsake us.

 

"Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you." James 4:7 (NIV)

 

Prayer:  "Jesus, I trust you and believe you have my best in mind for me.  Give me grace when the attacks of the enemy come to my mind and teach me how to trust you and cast my cares upon you rather than listen to the lies of the enemy.  Thank you for the shield of my faith in you.  In you I pray, Amen."

No comments: