Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Day 44 - Thursday

Day 44

 

"What God has said isn't only alive and active! It is sharper than any double-edged sword. His word can cut through our spirits and souls and through our joints and marrow, until it discovers the desires and thoughts of our hearts."  Hebrews 4:12 (CEV)

So how do we use this sword?  We talked earlier of how Jesus quoted the scripture to the enemy when in the midst of temptation and attack.  It is how he countered the attacks.  He knew how to use the sword swiftly and easily.  It was a natural response for him.

 

Why was the sword easy to use?  Jesus had immersed himself in the Word.  In fact, one of the names of Christ is "the Word."  John called him the "Word made flesh."  You and I obviously do not hold this same position, but we can follow in Jesus' footsteps, as everything Jesus did in the flesh was done as an example for us to follow.

 

He lived in the Word of God and made the scripture his focus.  As a young Hebrew man, he had learned the words of God, studied them and especially memorized them.  So when he needed a "sword," a particular word from God that applied to the situation he faced, the sword was presented easily. 

 

You and I have our armor readily available to us.  God has granted them to us as gifts, but without our participation and belief they will do us no good.  The sword especially needs our commitment.  We must take the sword into our hearts and minds.  It is the preparation for the future. 

 

"I have hidden your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you."  Psalm 119:11 (NLT)

 

When we study the scripture and commit its truth to memory, it creates a home in our hearts from which we can declare it in the times of our need.  We wield the sword by knowing the word of God and speaking it to ourselves and over our situations, against the plans and lies of the enemy.

 

Prayer:  "Lord, help me to store your words in my heart.  May my mouth be filled with your words when the lies of the enemy comes at me.  Allow your sword to fight on my behalf and give me victory.  In Jesus I pray, Amen."

 

No comments: