Sunday, March 28, 2010

Day 40 - Sunday

Day 40

"Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God." Ephesians 6:17 (NIV)

The sword of the Spirit is the last accessory of the armor. We've been looking at God's defensive protection for the believer up to this point: truth, righteousness, faith, peace, salvation. No other piece is an offensive weapon, only this, the sword, is a weapon.

It is interesting that God does not give us an arsenal of weapons to fight with in the wars of our life. No, simply protects us and hands us a sword.

The word, sword, comes from a Greek word, "machaira" which means knife. It's a term used by modern scholars to describe a type of ancient bladed weapon, generally a large knife with a slight backwards curve. In some ancient texts, it can even refer to a surgeon's scalpel.

But this sword/knife is not just any sword. Paul tells us that the Word of God is our weapon. This weapon is a precise instrument. "Word" comes from the Greek "rhema." It refers to the utterance from God. This is the living word that comes from God to our heart. It is that moment we are reading the scripture and it comes alive to us. We know that we know it is true, and that it is speaking to our situation.

It is this that we use to fight against the enemy of our souls. When the word of God comes alive and we believe it, it becomes a power for us to defeat the lies and the attacks that come in life.

Prayer: "Father, thank you that you not only give me things to protect myself with, but also give me a weapon to fight with in the battles of life. I thank you that you speak through your word to me and my situations and as I stand in faith on these words, you give me victory. In Jesus I pray, Amen."

No comments: